TRASH & RECYCLING
PICK UP DAYS
TRASH – Monday & Thursdays
RECYCLING – Thursdays
YARD DEBRIS – Mondays (March 1st to December 24th)
All items should be placed curbside the night before or by 6:00 a.m at the latest. (Pick up times will vary) If we are experiencing high winds please be sure to secure the cans so they do not blow trash throughout the community.
Report trash pick up issues
Arrange pick up for large/bulk or special items please call to schedule pickup: 703-818-8222 www.republicservices.com
*Bulk removal is $85 per item (subject to change)
Request new Trash or Recycling container
- Republic Services provides the waste removal services for the community. Trash and recycling removal fees are included in your monthly HOA assessments. Click HERE to review collection guidelines.
- Any changes to the regularly scheduled trash collection days will be posted on the front page in the yellow bar on this website and on the SR Facebook page.
- Trash cans are available in 65 or 96 gallons.
- There will be trash and recycling removal on all holidays, with the exception Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Check this website under ‘News’ on the homepage or the South Riding Facebook page for information about special trash/recycling pickups during holidays.
Lidded 64-gallon wheeled recycling bins can be obtained free of charge. ALL recyclable materials (cans, plastic, cardboard and newspaper/magazines) can be collected in this cart and wheeled to the curb on recycling day (Thursday).
(Monday’s – March 1st – December 24th)
Yard waste is a result of regular yard maintenance, not debris as a result of a landscape renovation or project construction.
It is Republic Services goal to pick-up what is set out for collection, but during peaks in yard waste production, Republic Service may choose to limit collection to 10 paper bags, averaged sized containers, or bundles per pick-up day.
Brush and limbs must be less than 6 inches in diameter, cut into 4-foot lengths or less, bundled with rope or twine and cannot exceed 50 pounds. Yard waste or bundles that do not meet these set-out requirements will not be collected. All unbundled brush will be considered a special pick-up.
Please call 703-818-8222 in advance to schedule your pickup of these items.The minimum charge for a special pickup is $85.00.
Republic Services does not collect dirt, bags of mulch (over20lbs), sod, rocks, open containers with poison ivy/oak/sumac, or uncontained brush with thorns.
Properly prepared yard waste includes the following:
- Brush, limbs and branches are cut into 4-foot lengths
- Items are bundled (arm full size) and bound with rope or twine.
- Bundled items do NOT exceed 50 pounds.
- Grass clippings and leaves are placed in a trash container labeled as “yard waste” or neatly bagged in paper yard waste bags marked with an X. (NO plastic bags)
- To arrange pick up for large/bulk or special items please call to schedule pickup: 703-818-8222.
*Bulk removal is $85 per item (subject to change) and appliance prices vary depending on what needs to be removed.
DISPOSAL OF PAINT
Republic Services does NOT remove wet paint.
Please mix kitty litter, mulch or a product called paint hardener (available at Home Depot for $3-$10) into your leftover latex or water-based paints and wood stains. These items absorb and harden the paint or stain. Once the paint is 100% dry place them inside your trash can with the lids off with your regular trash.
When a can of wet paint is placed in the trash, a spill can occur on the road or in the truck. This not only affects the community, but also the trash trucks. When spills occur, Republic Services is required to pull trucks from the route for cleaning and maintenance which then causes a delay in service. Any costs associated with cleaning the paint from the streets or the trash truck are the responsibility of the individual(s) who place the paint at the curb. Your cooperation is appreciated.
HHW as defined by the EPA, is any waste produced in the home that is dangerous or potentially harmful to our health or the environment. Loudoun County hosts several events each year for county residents to dispose of their HHW. Visit their website for dates, times, locations and a list of collected items.
CHRISTMAS TREE RECYCLING
Republic Services offers a curbside pick up of Christmas tree for recycling on the first two Mondays in January.
Christmas trees may also be dropped off for recycling at the special collection dumpsters located in the Meadows Pool Parking Lot through mid-January. Christmas trees will be mixed with other natural woods and recycled into mulch at the Loudoun County landfill. Free mulch will be available at the landfill while supplies last.
For either recycling method, please remove lights, ornaments, stand, and other materials before placing curbside or dropping off. Trees should not be placed in bags. Wreaths and artificial trees are not accepted due to the wire used in their construction.