Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
Loudoun County will hold a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection event on Saturday, June 25th at Freedom High School to collect used and unwanted household hazardous materials such as gasoline and household chemicals, and the events are held at various locations throughout the county, not at the county landfill. Hazardous materials generated by a business, organization, or other non-residential source are not accepted at these events.
A hazardous waste management contractor manages each collection event to accept and package the waste for shipment to an appropriate processing facility.
Procedures for 2022 HHW Events
- Members of the public who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 should wear a face covering as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- The event is a drive-thru, in which residents are instructed to remain in their vehicles and allow event staff to unload any items accepted for disposal.
- In order to ensure everyone remains in their vehicle while at the point of service, if items are transported inside plastic bags, the bags must be open, not tied or sealed. Staff are not allowed to open any plastic bag containing HHW.
- Gasoline will be emptied from personal gas cans and the cans will be returned upon request.
Limit Per Household
- Up to 15 gallons of liquid household waste / 40 pounds of solid household waste
(Container size no larger than five gallons)
Please note that participants must be able to provide proof of Loudoun County residency such as a driver’s license or utility bill if requested.
The county also conducts two hazardous waste disposal collection events each year for local businesses under the Business Hazardous Waste Program.